Well that was quick! My new MS Labs CAN Wideband Module with optional OBD-II port has arrived. UPS 3 Day Select all the way across the country arrived in just 2 days! Big thanks to Trackspeed Engineering for the quick order processing.
- The new hardware enclosure is anodized black instead of silver/clear.
- The case screws are now T10 Torx instead of Phillips head.
- There is a second serial connector for the OBD-II harness.
- The PCB is v2.1. Obviously a completely different design to accommodate the OBD-II. No more jumper wires on the back side of the PCB.
Sorry for the weird angle of all the photos. The lighting in my garage isn’t ideal and if I stand directly overhead I cast a large shadow over the object I’m photographing.
Pin 4 – Chassis Ground
Pin 5 – Signal Ground
Pin 6 – CAN High
Pin 14 – CAN Low
Pin 16 – Power
Onto the installation. I used a square 4-pin Delphi Weather Pack connector to wire the CAN module to my MS3 DB37 connector. I previously used a flat 4-pin Weather Pack connector to wire the Innovate LC-2 controller to the MS3 DB37 connector, so by using the square 4-pin connector for the CAN module the connectors are automatically keyed to prevent accidentally swapping the connectors during service. I also wrapped the sub-harness for the CAN module and the sub-harness for the OBD-II connector with self-wrapping split braided sleeve and self-fusing silicone tape so that it’s nice and tidy. The Innovate LC-2 controller and the CAN module live in the dash behind the radio blanking plate. I used velcro to secure the CAN module to the carpet under the dash so it doesn’t rattle around. And I left the OBD-II harness disconnected but neatly wrapped up inside the dash alongside the CAN module so that it’s there when I need it. Hopefully down the road when I need it I remember that I did that and don’t spend hours searching my garage in vain for it!
Now with it all wired up comes the moment of truth. Hooray! My random sync loss errors appear to have gone away after installing the new MS Labs CAN Wideband Module. Not sure what was wrong with the original unit but it was seemingly defective. Onward and upward! With that problem is behind me I can get back to the iterative approach of tuning acceleration enrichment (to address crazy lean stumble on tip-in) and my main fuel table, then tweaking my after start enrichment and warm up enrichment settings. All the generic tuning advice says don’t mess with AE until your VE table is dialed in. Well, that advice does not apply to ITBs! So much air rushes in at small throttle openings that you have to add AE to compensate. Some people would say just use ITB Load Mode and you won’t have this problem. But I’m going to see how far I can get on Alpha-N alone before changing the algorithm.